Sunday 6 November 2011

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce


Title: Sweetly
Author: Jackson Pearce
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 312

My rating:

‘The sister with the candy emptied a handful of them into her palm, picking out the yellows and dropping them as they continued to trudge forward.’

For nearly a year now, I have waited to get my hands on this book. Partly because I read Sisters Red and I absolutely adored the book and the author. And for the first time, I found this book in my library. Firstly, let me just say that it isn’t perfect. After a while the story line drags on in the middle and makes slow progress but I forced myself to continue because I am not a giver upper. 
   Ever.   
   Never.
   Don’t even consider it.
However there is a lot of mysteries to solve and they do make you think about all the secrets the characters are hiding. The ending, I must say, was a lot better.
This book is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel but, instead, it is very twisted. The main character is named Gretchen which makes me think that she’s a monster but she really just an 18-year-old girl with a brother named Ansel. In this version Gretchen has a twin sister who had vanished in the woods twelve years ago. Then when they’re much older and their step-mother kicks them out, they go and start a new life somewhere which may just lead them even deeper into the mystery of the disappearances...
The characters portrayed a lot of emotion throughout the story about all the people they’ve lost and about the people they love, the writing flows so neatly I forgot that it was actually a story that I was reading. This book wasn't as I expected but however, I totally enjoyed this book and I recommend it to people who enjoyed:
Beastly by Alex Flinn

No comments:

Post a Comment